Royalty and India have a deep old connection whether it is in terms of clothes, jewellery, lifestyle, houses or the much talked about Indian hospitality and how can one forget Rajasthan; home to kings of the ancient India.
Jaipur considered a modern city of Rajasthan is one of the most sought after travel destinations of the world. The city has the perfect blend of old world charm and the contemporary vibrancy. Most people when come to the city return with bags full. Read on to find out some of the best places to shop in Jaipur.
1. Satgurus– This particular store has in stock all kinds of fabric that exists. However, the speciality is Wall Hangings made with zari and stones. The shop is huge and is spread over two floors. They also stock bed spreads, quilts and cushion covers. You can shop and get your stuff delivered to your hotel. If lucky, you can also find traditional kurta. However, whatever you want can be customised according to the choice of cloth. It is important to bargain for right price.
2. Old City– To experience the ambience of the city, you can head to the local market in the old city. A good place to do budget shopping for jewellery, clothes, handicrafts and ornamented cut pieces.
3. Rugs – Rugs can be used in various ways. It can be used as table cloth, wall hanging, on the floor and so on. Jaipur is known for its beautiful rugs and this particular shop especially. One can find variety of rugs here in all shapes and sizes. The cost varies according to the work. There are some of them with intricate stone work, beautiful hand woven thread work and patch work and so on. There are miniature paintings, as well. One can ask for something special and be surprised. They stock paintings on marbles and handmade paper, as well. The shop is expensive, but every penny is worth, however it is always advisable to bargain. You may not buy anything, but their Islamic tea, which is on the house, is not to be missed.
4. Kripal Kumbh– Jaipur’s blue pottery is very well known and is an article not to be missed. Kripal Kumbh is situated on Shiv Marg and is known to all the locals. Open till 6.30 pm except on Sundays, it is a shop set in a private home of the Late Kripal Singh. The shop has something for everyone in terms of size and budget. The price starts from Rs. 30 and can go up to Rs. 50,000 and more. You can also order if you have something specific in mind.
5. Rajasthali– Located on the MI road opposite Ajmeri Gate. This is a fair trade shop promoted by the State government of Rajasthan and is packed with good quality craft work, camel work, wood work, block printed articles, miniatures, minakari work, brass wear mirror studded articles, etc.
6. Johri Bazar– One of the famous markets in Jaipur and a shopper’s delight. One can hope to find sarees, suits and lengha in bhandhej, however the market is known for gem stones and jewellery. The lanes have many shops and sell articles made of gold, silver and other stones. This particular lane has the best designs in the entire city.
7. Bapu Bazar– Located near Hawa Mahal and closed on Sunday. One can find the famous Juti or as traditionally called Mojaris here. These are made with camel leather. Usually, these are very colourful and reasonable. The length and breadth are normally between New Gate and Sanganeri Gate. This market also has a special lane dedicated to fragrances, commonly known as ‘ittar’. The speciality of the market is that it has a specified lane for everything; hence one can shop at ease.
8. Malls– Ganpati Plaza- The first mall of the city and hence a happening place. One can get the traditions stuff to fashion wear all under the same roof. There are various shops selling artificial jewellery. Some of the famous stores include Rana Silk and Sarees, Mogli’s Island and the Pizza Hut joint, which stay packed throughout with tourists and locals.
Gaurav Tower is again a joint for young and the happening of the city. Commonly called as GT is spread over almost 20,000 square feet and has a good ambience, is spacious along valet parking.
9. Juneja Art Gallery– A must visit for art lovers as this place boats of a pricy and princely collection by some well known artists, as well as, emerging talent. It was established in 1994 and is located near Amber fort on MI road, is around 5000 square feet. It also has modern art and figurative art. Visited by some of the well known names in the city and almost all big hotels have their paintings on display.
10. Gem Palace– This particular store has been in existence since not less than eight generations and is meant for serious shoppers only. The store has everything from vintage to contemporary. The interiors of the shop resembles a cave with beautiful pieces on display, which are inspired for the royal houses of the city as the shop is owned by one of the jewellers that once served the royal family. It is a very well known shop and frequented by the rich and famous of the city. One can get customised designs, as well, however these take a long time.
Jaipur has something for everyone and one must not miss the famous Maratha Mandir, one of the oldest cinema halls in the country. The city also has a lot for foodies and one can indulge the famous Kachori, the sweets and the traditional Rajasthani cuisine. The hotel has places to stay for all as there are heritage hotels, as well as, budget hotels. It is important to find a good tourist guide, who can guide you around. So pack your bags and start on a journey filled with fun, food, colours and adventure.
Welcome to Jaipur…India’s Pink City! Bags full in the Pink City