Tamil Nadu is known as the temple city of India. It is the south eastern state on the Indian peninsula. You can get to experience the magic offered by the famous cities here. The brilliance of the architecture found here from the Dravidian times is just astounding. The monuments and temples found here tell a different story altogether. Their accomplishment in art and culture attracts tourists and history lovers from all around the globe. The hill stations here also provide a serene atmosphere which leaves the travellers mesmerised. The irresistible charm of places like Ooty and Kodaikanal draw tourist there like a swarm of bees.
Tamil Nadu is one of the largest tourism industries of India and has an annual growth rate of 16%.People from different parts of the world and the country visit Tail Nadu for not just art and culture but also for studying the pre-historic data that is preserved within the state with the help of government. The domestic arrivals have shown a significant growth of 333.5 million on 2015, which made Tamil Nadu the most popular destination of the country for the purpose of tourism and foreign arrivals,was numbered 4.68 million which has the highest record in the country.
Recent records states that Tamil Nadu is the second largest economy of the country, and tourism being one of the main contributors as a source of revenue. Tamil Nadu tourism Development Corporation promotes and regulates tourism in the state. You don’t need any specific season to visit Tamil Nadu; it is a year round tourist destination.
Different cities and places in Tamil Nadu are famous for its specific reason as stated below:
- Chennai: Chennai or previously recognised popularly as Madras, is India’s fourth largest metro city. Chennai is famous for its beaches, architecture and diversity within the city itself. India’s most recognised actor Rajinikanth is the ideal superstar to the local people of Chennai or all over Tamil Nadu. There is a famous IPL cricket fantasy team known to be Chennai super kings. Chennai is to be the main gateway to south India and is also connected to all parts of the country through rail, road or air.Chennai also stands famous for Medical tourism with the recent establishments of Asia’s largest hospitals with best surgeons and modern medical equipment.
- Coimbatore: Tamil Nadu’s second largest city is often known as Manchester of south India for mainly trade and commerce. It is also known as cotton city.
- Madurai: From many decades Madurai has been a main settlement for many people. Madurai was the longest capital city during British reign in India. Also Madurai is the third largest city and second largest in population in Tamil Nadu. Madurai is mainly famous and recognised to be temple town throughout the world. The famous Meenakshi Amman temple is located in Madurai and is visited often by people throughout the world for its architecture, culture, art and tradition. 1000 pillar hall, 14 towers with best art and painting makes Meenakshi Temple remarkable. Average of nearly 15000 visitors is recorded on daily basis to visit Meenakshi Temple.
Madurai also considered being one of the most ancient civilisations for more than 4000 years. It is also called Athens of east, city of junctions, festivals and temples. It is also known to be sleepless city or the jasmine city. The city is rich for its prehistoric records, architecture, culture and most importantly Tamil literature. Madurai is basically considered to be the tourism hub of Tamil Nadu and remains as a major cultural destination yet. Madurai, Rameshwaram, Kanyakumari tour package is the most popular travel package in Tamil Nadu.
- Vellore: This city is majorly known for the medieval period’s greatest establishments in south India which is popularly known as the Vellore fort. People or visitors do not miss Vellore in their Tamil Nadu tourism package. Other than that it is one of the largest hub for hospital, medical and rehabilitation services, which again contributed to the medical tourism in India.UNESCO World Heritage Sites
This state comprises of many world heritage sites which are declared by UNESCO. These are mainly the temples and deities of the Chola and also the Pallava empires which are distributed all across the Northern and central-eastern regions of the state.
- Chola Temples: The great king Raja Chola along with his son Rajendra built the Great Living Chola Temples which are one of the glorious heritage sites and have great architectural achievements. These temples show us the advancement of the Cholas in their sculpture, architecture, bronze casting and their paintings.
- Monuments of Mahabalipuram: These monuments are about 58 kilometers away from Chennai and were declared as a world heritage site. In the 7th and the 8th century the Pallava kings built them. They are locate along the Coromandel Coast and were carved out of rocks.
- Nilgiri Mountain Railway: in 2005 this railway was added to the list of world heritage sites as a great example of brilliant engineering solution for problems on building efficient railway link through rough, mountainous terrain.
Tamil Nadu is renowned for having 34000 Hindu temples which are supposedly many centuries old. There are various cave temples like Kalugumalai, Chitharal Jain monuments, Sittanavasal Cave and Samanar Hills. Other cities and towns which are well known for its temples are Chidambaram, Ervadi, Kancheepuram, Kanyakumari, etc.
This state is located at the southern end of the Eastern and Western Ghats and thus has a lot of hill stations. The most popular ones are Kodaikanal, Ooty, Coonor, Sirumalai, Kolli Hills, etc. The Nilgiri Hills, Shevaroy Hills and the Palani Hills are famous for dense forests and wildlife.
This city is situated in the Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh. It is known as the holiest pilgrimage for Hindus as the famous Tirumala Venkateswara Temple resides in it. You can opt for a Tirupati,Madurai, Rameshwaram, Kanyakumari tour package via https://www.waytoindia.com/tirupati-madurai-rameshwaram-kanyakumari-tour-package as it is much close to Tamil Nadu, and you can add this beautiful place to your trip.