There are innumerable reasons why India is an amazing place. A nation that has the second largest population in the world with multiple religions and ethnicities, there is no secret behind the cause for the diversity in everything in India. Starting from clothes, cuisines, and customs, to geographical features, climate, and facilities, there is a huge contrast at all these levels and more. It would be nearly impossible for one person to see and experience all these diversities. The contrasts in this country make for a small world to be housed within that one country itself. Those who are looking for the top tourist attractions in India will have to make a tough choice because there are so many different regions to choose from. Below are, however, some of the options that you could consider to include in your itinerary:
- Kanha National Park, Madhya Pradesh – Let’s start with the heart of the country. The word “Madhya” in several Indian languages means centre or middle. The state Madhya Pradesh is, therefore, akin to the heart of the country and is a potpourri of various culturally rich cities such as Ujjain, Indore, Bhopal, and Gwalior. Apart from being world famous for being a popular educational region since hundreds of years, Madhya Pradesh is also house to a famous forest called the Kanha National Park or Kanha Tiger Reserve. A large natural space for several species of animals to live and flourish in, this spreads over two districts Balaghat and Mandla. What makes it so popular with tourists is that against a serene, fresh, green background, you can easily spot several majestic tigers freely roaming around. This is a forest area that doesn’t just contain tigers but also has large expanses of sal and bamboo trees, grassy meadows, and several rivulets that make it one of the most exciting tiger reserves to roam around in and commune with nature at the same time.
- Paolim, Goa – No list of top tourist attractions in India can be complete without a mention of Goa. On the Konkan coasts, which lie on the lower western part of India, this state is filled with amazing beaches. Some of them, of course, are extremely popular with tourists and are really happening hubs for the young and old alike. But Goa is not just a state for those who love fun and frolic. There are several historic monuments and churches too that one can visit and learn more about the rich Portuguese influence that is still visible in the way people live, dress and prepare dishes. Palolem, or Paolim, is one of the best beaches in Goa because of its surrounding of headlands, a gentle slope to the beach bed, and because it is a natural bay that is dotted with several economical party lounges and restaurants for you to sample from.
- Lake Palace, Rajasthan – Another state that lies in the western region of India, Rajasthan is as famous for its deserts as it is for its exceptional hospitality industry, colourful array of clothes, and gentle camels that can give you a heavenly experience of deserts as a part of the organized rides. In this state that is predominantly arid and filled with deserts, Udaipur is a sparkling gem because it contains Lake Pichola. The river contains several small islands, and the most noted of them is the Jag Niwas Island because it houses the majestic Lake Palace. Made popular by the James Bond movie Octopussy, this would have been a dream destination nevertheless because of its spectacular views, amazing rooms, and unbeatable service provided by the palace’s management. If you want to feel like a queen or king in a place, which is close to other amazing and picturesque parts of Rajasthan, then this should definitely be your next holiday destination.
- Virupaksha Temple, Karnataka – Located in the Hampi district, this temple was built in approximately in the 7th century AD. It was built as a modest shrine dedicated to the worship of the powerful Lord Shiva. The dancing maestro must have been really pleased with this temple because since its inception, the temple has never had to be closed to the public making it one of the oldest and still functioning temples in the world. No longer just a small shrine, the temple is now one of the largest ones with an intricate and large “gopura” and pleasant surroundings that make it a top spiritual destination spot in India.
- Backwaters, Kerala – Wayenad, Kochi, Kannur, and Palakkad are some of the most attractive parts of this southern state that is famous for many reasons, including their thriving Ayurveda spas and fish-rich cuisine. However, one of their jewels is the Malabar Coast, which contains the backwaters that are a scenic delight for any nature lover. Filled with lush greenery and several lagoons and lakes, the backwaters are spots for people, who can rent houseboats and view popular water sports such as their annual boat rowing competition.
- Sri Harmandir Sahib, Punjab – Famous as the Golden Temple, this is the holiest place for Sikhs all over the world. Apart from its gorgeous setting in the middle of a sarovar, which derives its water from the Ravi River, the architecture and langar customs of the temple have made it even more popular. Visit this place if you want to know more about Sikhism and fulfil the wishes of your spiritualistic side.
- Jaisalmer, Rajasthan – Another famous city in Rajasthan, this is a unique treat for people, who love forts and other historic monuments. Yellowsandstone walls and the Thar desert have given this city its nickname, the “Golden City.”
- Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh – Lying in the northern parts of India, this city is chock-full of temples and other holy shrines that you can visit to know more about the rich cultural and holy background of India. People of almost all religions and sects consider this, and the holy river Ganga that flows through it, as one of the holiest spots in the entire world. Paans, saris, and other garments too are other popular reasons why people love visiting this vibrant city.
Go explore this vast country to the fullest and create your own list of top tourist attractions in India with the help of this one when you’re ready for your next adventure!
Originally posted 2016-07-28 03:10:53.