The Kerala backwaters are a network of canals, lakes, and lagoons located along the coast of Kerala, in southern India. Known for their serene and picturesque beauty, the Kerala backwaters offer a unique and tranquil experience. Here are 10 beautiful backwaters in Kerala with their features:
1. Alleppey Backwaters: Also known as Alappuzha, this is one of the most popular backwater destinations in Kerala. It offers houseboat cruises, lush green paddy fields, and vibrant village life.
2. Kumarakom Backwaters: Located on the banks of Vembanad Lake, this backwater destination is famous for its bird sanctuary, luxury resorts, and serene ambiance.
3. Kuttanad Backwaters: Known as the “Rice Bowl of Kerala,” Kuttanad is characterized by its vast expanses of paddy fields, palm-fringed canals, and traditional thatched houses.
4. Kochi Backwaters: Kochi, also called the “Queen of the Arabian Sea,” offers a blend of backwaters and urban charm. Explore its beautiful marine drive, historical sites, and Chinese fishing nets.
5. Kollam Backwaters: The backwaters in Kollam are known for their peaceful surroundings, houseboat cruises, and the famous Ashtamudi Lake, the second-largest lake in Kerala.
6. Thiruvallam Backwaters: Located near Thiruvananthapuram, these backwaters offer a serene boating experience, with the added attraction of the Parvathy Puthanar canal.
7. Valiyaparamba Backwaters: Nestled in Kasaragod district, Valiyaparamba backwaters are relatively untouched, making it an ideal destination for nature lovers.
8. Poovar Backwaters: Located near Thiruvananthapuram, Poovar is known for its estuary, golden beaches, and tranquil backwaters surrounded by coconut groves.
9. Kannur Backwaters: Kannur offers a unique backwater experience with its beautiful Payyambalam beach, historic sites, and a serene network of canals and lakes.
10. Ashtamudi Backwaters: Situated in Kollam, Ashtamudi Lake is famous for its scenic beauty, houseboat cruises, and the renowned Munroe Island.
Travel Plan to Explore 10 Best Kerala Backwaters:
Day 1: Arrival in Kochi
– Explore Fort Kochi and its attractions like the Chinese fishing nets, St. Francis Church, and Mattancherry Palace.
Day 2-3: Alleppey Backwaters
– Embark on a houseboat cruise in Alleppey, exploring the scenic backwaters, paddy fields, and local village life.
Day 4: Kumarakom
– Visit Kumarakom and explore the bird sanctuary, take a houseboat ride on Vembanad Lake, and indulge in Ayurvedic spa treatments.
Day 5: Kollam
– Visit Kollam and enjoy a boat ride on Ashtamudi Lake, visit Munroe Island, and explore the Thangassery Lighthouse.
Day 6: Kannur
– Explore Kannur, visit the Muzhappilangad Drive-in Beach, historic forts, and soak in the beauty of Kannur backwaters.
Day 7: Thiruvananthapuram
– Visit Thiruvananthapuram, explore the famous Kovalam beach, enjoy a boat ride in Thiruvallam backwaters, and visit Poovar Island.
Note: The travel plan can be customized based on your preferences, budget, and time constraints. It’s recommended to book houseboat cruises and accommodations in advance, especially during peak tourist seasons.