With an upward graph of novel coronavirus cases across the continents, it seems that the world has come to an entire stop. With no proper vaccinations and medications to date, staying back at home is the only possible solution to save ourselves from the pandemic. Indeed the lockdown period is a tough time for all of us, but this is the only way we can break the chain of COVID-19. Staying at home often makes one lazy and less productive. But this should not be the case now. Regular exercises and wellness therapies practiced at home can both boost one’s immunity power besides keeping one engaged in activities. Even doctors are also advising the same on media every day. The Ministry of AYUSH (Department of Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy) has also focused on various guidelines on self care and immunity-boosting during the outbreak of COVID-19. The early symptoms of COVID-19 infections being fever, cough and cold, the following measures have been recommended with special reference to respiratory health.
Ministry Of AYUSH Guidelines – General instructions
- Yoga, meditation and Pranayam must be practiced every day for at least 30 minutes.
- One’s daily meal must-have natural ingredients like turmeric (Haldi), cumin (Jeera), coriander (Dhaniya) and Garlic (Lahsun).
- One should drink warm water throughout the day.
Ayurvedic immunity-boosting measures
- One should drink the ‘Golden Milk’ daily; 150 ml of hot milk mixed with half spoon turmeric powder.
- It is advised to take one teaspoonful of Chawanprash every morning. Diabetic patients must have no sugar dose of the same.
- It is advised to drink herbal tea or tea made from Cinnamon (Dalchini), Basil (Tulsi), black pepper (kalimirch) and ginger (Adrak) once or twice a day. Depending upon one’s choice one can add natural sugar or lemon as well.
Simple Ayurvedic procedures
- It is advised to apply coconut oil or sesame oil in both the nostrils twice a day.
- Take one tablespoon sesame oil or coconut oil and swish in the mouth for 2 to 3 minutes. Then spit it off followed by rinsing by warm water. This practice should be carried out twice daily.
If you have dry cough or sore throat
- In case of dry cough and throat irritation, Clove powder (Lavang) mixed with natural sugar can be consumed 2-3 times a day.
- One can also take steam inhalation with Mint leaves (Pudina) and Caraway seeds (Ajwain) once in a day.
The Ministry of AYUSH disclaims that these are only a few preventive measures of COVID-19 and that one must consult a doctor if the symptoms (of fever, cough and cold) persist.